Putting robotics at your service™

Free shipping on orders over $200

RC ground xmitter throttle output versus RC plane xmitter th

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2012-03-24 15:53 
RC ground xmitter throttle output versus RC plane xmitter throttle output?
Hi all,
I presently only have RC plane transmitters (2.4GHz), but am putting together a Traxxas E-Maxx ground chassis for Robo-Magellan.
The question I have is, can I use a Spektrum plane RC transmitter (2,4GHz) with a Spektrum ground receiver (2.4GHz)?
Is there a way to simulate the RC ground transmitter braking function on the plane RC transmitter? Normally the plane transmitter throttle PWM goes from 1.0ms minimum to 2.0ms maximum throttle. Does the ground transmitter throttle work the same way? Or does it go from 1.5ms to 2.0ms PWM for forward throttle and 1.5ms to 1.0ms PWM for braking with netural at 1.5ms PWM?
Regards,
TCIII

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2012-03-25 00:53 
There both 2.4? Probably different sequences or some other means to keep the ground out of the air.

Alan KM6VV

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2012-03-25 12:18 
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the response, but you missed the point of my post. I am pretty sure that my RC plane transmitter will work with an RC ground receiver because I have several Spektrum BR6000 robot receivers that are essentially ground receivers so that is not the issue. The issue is, what does the throttle output of the RC ground transmitter look like? Is it linear from 1.0ms to 2.0ms like with a RC plane transmitter or does it split the range to allow for the braking function with neutral at 1.5ms? That is the question. I am hoping that I will get an answer here and not have to do it emperically.
Regards,
TCIII

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2012-03-26 10:29 
The surface throttle braking happens in the speed controller not the receiver. It can be adjusted up or down or disabled. Both air and ground transmitters do 1 to 2mS with 1.5 as centered. Not sure why Spektrum disallowed swapping air and ground receivers, because anyone with a ground based vehicle is forced to deal with having only 3 channels! Yeah! Further the ground transmitter has mechanical adjustability to have the full 1 to 2mS as the forward throttle, or breaking at the end, or forward / reverse with brakes, or without brakes depending on the speed controller used. To the best of my knowledge no receiver will bind with a surface (throttle/steering) except the three channel ones. The BR6000 was their "surface" receiver so the good people of earth would not be forced to use a GASP! "air" receiver for a surface based vehicle... But the transmitters are all designed for "air"... What a joke. They just don't get it.

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2012-03-26 12:33 
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info and insights. You are the only member to understand what I was asking and to provide understandable information.
Regards,
TCIII

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2012-03-26 12:59 
TCIII wrote:
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the info and insights. You are the only member to understand what I was asking and to provide understandable information.
Regards,
TCIII

He's been doing this for some time now, what with owning the company and what not :wink:

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2012-03-26 14:03 
Oh that I don't know TC.

Higher end radios, as you probably know, can have "curves" to match a stick to a desired action. For example, I have "cyclic" and "throttle" pitches in my radio (T7C). They are both generated off of the same stick, but are output on different channels (3 & 6 I believe). so I get an idle throttle at center stick, and the throttle increases both directions of the stick. The cyclic has 0 pitch at idle (hover), and gets up to +8 stick up, and -3 (beginner) stick down. Different idle curves give different curves. The 3D flyers go +10 and -10, for example. That could be idle-up2 (different pitch set).

So you might look for this ability.

Don't know if that helps or not.

Alan KM6VV

TCIII wrote:
Hi Alan,
Thanks for the response, but you missed the point of my post. I am pretty sure that my RC plane transmitter will work with an RC ground receiver because I have several Spektrum BR6000 robot receivers that are essentially ground receivers so that is not the issue. The issue is, what does the throttle output of the RC ground transmitter look like? Is it linear from 1.0ms to 2.0ms like with a RC plane transmitter or does it split the range to allow for the braking function with neutral at 1.5ms? That is the question. I am hoping that I will get an answer here and not have to do it emperically.
Regards,
TCIII