Free shipping on orders over $200

Several servos in new AL5D arm moving erratically

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]

New ( offline )
Posted: 2011-11-17 16:30 
Greetings Jim,

After talking to you on the phone about my 3 servos behaving strangely, you asked me to post a picture of my setup. So, here it is.

As you can see, I have the VL=VS jumper removed and am using a 9V battery for logic and the provided 2amp DC power supply for the servo power.

When I send a move command to the servo, it sort of goes into convulsions and continues to do so. The strange thing is this servo did not behave this way a few days ago. So, I'm wondering if something I am doing is somehow ruining these servos. As you know, two other servos in my shipment also exhibit this behavior (but did so from the get go).

Some additional notes:
I am using LynxTerm to drive the servos and am only testing one servo at a time.
Several other servos behave normally with this exact same setup.
I've tried another SSC-32 board that I happened to have on hand and saw the same behavior.
The green LED on the board is NOT blinking during the strange servo movement. It does blink when it receives a command but that is normal.
I've checked the voltage on the power pins of the servo header and it reads 6.2 volts.
I've tried multiple headers across different banks on the servo controller and see the same behavior.
I always turn off the servo power before plugging/unplugging a servo.

I am under a tremendous time crunch on this project so I'll call you to get a replacement sent right away. Hopefully we can figure out what is going on.

Thanks!
Gilgamesh82

Attachment:
WP_000353.jpg
WP_000353.jpg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 748 times ]
Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-11-17 16:40 
Chatted on the phone, he's going to try swapping out power supply, battery, usb to serial etc.