Mentor Needed

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 4 of 4 [ 57 posts ]

1, 2, 3, 4
Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-11 21:41 
 Post subject: Re: Mentor Needed
I am for sure not the best one to talk about aesthetics :oops: :lol:, as I usually have lots of wires hanging everywhere and dust... But I have found that it is a good thing with legs to organize the wires, as they can get caught up in things and cause problems, like shorts, servo getting hung... So before long I would recommend working on that. The leg assembly tutorial (http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build168.htm), shows a good example of it.

What I did when I built my 4 DOFT-Hex legs, what I did was to start at the Tars (ankle) servo and then routed it into the Coxa(Knee) servo bracket and then place the Knee servo into that bracket. The two wires should come out at about the same place, where I place a wire tie to hold it there. Note: you need to make sure there is enough free servo wire at each joint, such that the joint can move through it's full range of motion...

As I mentioned the pictures toward the end of the above mentioned tutorial, shows this pretty well.

Kurt

Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-16 08:23 
OK so Im back and working on getting this up to snuff again. Thanks again for everyones help. Working on getting the legs calibrated now. I think i can do this but i have a question. When i power it on and set all servos to 1500 i hear a loud hum. is that normal or do i have one on backward or something?

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-16 09:26 
Yep a Hum is quite normal. I assume you are using something to hold the legs off the ground, such as is shown in figure 1 of: http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build172.htm . Note: If you were using digital servos, a large very annoying whine would be heard.

Kurt

Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-16 09:47 
kurte wrote:
Yep a Hum is quite normal. I assume you are using something to hold the legs off the ground, such as is shown in figure 1 of: http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build172.htm . Note: If you were using digital servos, a large very annoying whine would be heard.

Kurt

Oh thank god! I'v been looking at this thing all morning fearing that the hum may mean something very very bad.

Yeah I've proped up exactly as shown actually. This project was/is a bit over my head. but i knew that going in so i have compensation measures in place, i.e. no 3rd party hardware and buying everything directly from lynxmotion when possible and when not as close to what i can see in the pictures.

Attachment:
onstand.JPG
onstand.JPG [ 429.13 KiB | Viewed 915 times ]
Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-16 11:32 
Hello again. I'm confused. I have completed this tutorial ( http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build171.htm ) up to step 9.
do i click "Read" or "Write" or anything, or just move on to step 10?
Sure am glad i put in fresh batteries this morning. Standing by...

Attachment:
calibrated.JPG
calibrated.JPG [ 495.13 KiB | Viewed 906 times ]
Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-16 12:14 
Note: In Lynxterm, in the Registers page (shown I believe in Figure 5 of the tutorial), you need to press the write button, to put all of the offsets back into the SSC-32.

Note: I will normally do this after I adjust a few servos, just in case something resets, I don't lose what I already did.

Kurt

Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-16 12:20 
kurte wrote:
Note: In Lynxterm, in the Registers page (shown I believe in Figure 5 of the tutorial), you need to press the write button, to put all of the offsets back into the SSC-32.

Note: I will normally do this after I adjust a few servos, just in case something resets, I don't lose what I already did.

Kurt

Thank you Kurte. OK, hit write and moving on to step 10.

Dont know what a "Click" is but i do know what 45 degrees is.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-16 12:34 
The servo horn (the white thingy) on the top of the servo is connected to the main servo in the center where their is a metal rod with teeth. There are I believe 24 teeth in this, so rotating the horn, over one tooth (click) translates to 15 degrees.

Kurt

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-16 13:03 
Hi BobRusso,

I just read your entire thread over again. Congratulations on your progress and on a most interesting looking bot.

I can offer you no advice, just encouragement. You have already learned the most important lesson: There are truely wonderful people here, both at Lynxmotion itself and as members of the forum from all over the world. The amount of expertise they freeely offer is, as you have noted, amazing. I have learned volumes just by reading every thread.

Don't know if this will make you feel better or worse, but I detect that you are very much like me: You learn and progress very conservatively always wanting to know as much as possible about the probable outcome of an action before taking it. (I figure I have plenty of time to go slowly but not pleny of money to keep replacing parts. Sorry Robot Dude. :P ) You are taking the best approach, and it has obviously been working for you.

Looking forward to videos of your final success. Now you really should do something about getting your radiator down off the wall. :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-16 13:48 
Oh man, back to the drawing board.
I made a huge mistake. I had the legs wired incorectly. mixed up left and right. This mistake was made BEFORE i calibrated everything.
Gotta redo the toutorial now cuz when it stands up its in danger of toppling over. all inverversly alighned and mixed up. Bummer.

Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-16 13:57 
actually, when i go to all=1500 everything looks good-to-go . If the servos where wired wrong how would the servos know?
at all=1500 it looks axactly like figures 10, 11 and 12.

actually i do have a question; figures 10 and eleven apear to be after shots. Is figure 12 the before or after shot? I assume its the before.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-10-17 11:29 
Remember when the tutorial says left or right, it's relating to the robots left or right, not yours. :) I know it can be difficult to keep track of so many wires. You are this close! (holds up hand with thumb and finger touching) lol

1, 2, 3, 4