Free shipping on orders over $200

ARC-32 with PS2 controller

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]

1, 2
New ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-07 17:29 
Hey, I would appreciate if you could help. I have an ARC-32 and a ps2 controller of the Genius brand ..... I tried several ways to gain control over my hexapod with the controller ...... but have not even the programming code of the tutorial .....///// http://www.lynxmotion.com/images/html/build034.htm \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \....... but results not are positives... simply not able to establish communication.....I have checked the connections and are correct.....and i dont have idea why not work .... I have reviewed other tutorials and get the same ....... thanks ........

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-07 19:10 
You might need pull-up resistors on the data and clock lines of the PS2 depending on which I/O pins you select. The BotBoard II had a block of I/O (P11-15) with the resistors incorporated. Use of other pins usually necessitated adding the resistors. Search the forum, this has been the topic of discussion before.

Alan KM6VV

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-07 19:15 
I have working PS2 code for an Arc32 as part of the Arc32 phoenix thread (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6042). The code for it is up in several of the zip files that are posted in that thread.

I use the pins that are part of the Aux2 header (P40-43) These pins have pull-up resistors already attached to them.

Kurt

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-07 19:23 
That should solve a few problems for him!

Thanks for jumping in Kurt, I thought you'd posted on the solution somewhere.

Alan KM6VV

New ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-09 17:21 
Thanks for the contribution about pinouts and the post ....... .... but I'm having problems with the control ..... I think I have problems with the analog system activation button change .... so I do not respond ...... I test it on the PS2 and if it works ..... must be a problem with the programming but not I can think of nothing

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-09 18:09 
Note: Not all PS2 controllers are created equal. Is it wired or wireless? Some wireless I have never been able to make work others requrie a second power connection to the vibrate wire...

New ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-09 20:17 
the control is wireless and if I think I need the cable for the engines, but the green wire is connected ......is posible this control may not work with the same system.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-09 21:05 
Always hard to say. I know that for example Logitech PS2 units have been difficult to get working properly...
Are you getting any results from the PS2 controller with the test app?

Here is a version of a test PS2 test app for Arc32, that works with my Phoenix. I have it configured to dump data when it changes... You might try it out and see if you are getting anything...

Kurt

Attachment:
File comment: Arc32 PS2 test. Dumps stuff to debug terminal at baud rate of 38400
arc32 ps2 test.bas [3.44 KiB]
Downloaded 158 times
New ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-10 15:48 
with the program...produce as result on the terminal FF 255 255 255 255 255 255....and the problem is that the analog system not are active......the botton for change the mode.... the light is off and will not turn.....

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-10 16:13 
Not sure what else to tell you other than make sure you are giving the receiver +5v (or +3.3v) and not the servo battery voltage. Likewise make sure that the signals are plugged in the right order. On My Arc32 I am not using the PS2 cable, but instead using the equivalent of the cable kit: http://www.lynxmotion.com/p-714-ps2-con ... e-kit.aspx (can make with two servo extension cables). I then end up putting a piece of tape on the PS-2 receiver and write the signal names on it. That way I usually don't get the signals messed up... Example:
Attachment:
Ps2-with-cable.jpg
Ps2-with-cable.jpg [ 8.02 KiB | Viewed 2967 times ]

If it were on my machine I would hook it up to a logic analyzer and see if it is responding at all. So far it does not look like it is receiving.

Good Luck
Kurt

New ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-10 18:03 
ohh good thanks kurt .... I will keep trying but I would like to know which brands works fine with the ARC-32 .... or you test..... I would like to purchase one of Lynxmotion ..... .. but is part of a work which I must deliver soon and I do not have enough time to get one of these.....but for my proyects i will go to buy one

this is my project

Attachment:
100_4532.JPG
100_4532.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 2961 times ]
Attachment:
100_4514.JPG
100_4514.JPG [ 1011.39 KiB | Viewed 2961 times ]
Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-10 19:08 
Lots of people have had good luck with ones by Madcatz. I know that there are a few of these still around.

New ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-12 02:01 
mm with the problem .... I researched a little more and I've been thinking about the ACK which is a pin of recognition of the controller, it is possible that some controllers, said pin is necessary for recognition of the same or as the start of it?

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2011-01-12 09:39 
I am not sure. I have not seen any that way, but than again I have not played with that many different ones. I

know some will not work if you pass in more than 5V (such as VS). I have heard that some will not work at 5V. I have read that the original PS1 ran a 5v, but the PS2 ran at something like 3.4V, so most controllers still handle the 5V but... Likewise I know that my Sector 7 one required the second power line

Sometimes it can turn out the timings are slightly different. That is sometimes you need to add/remove/modify pauses between commands.

Not sure what else...

Kurt

Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-12 08:23 
I saw a very clear colour diagram for hooking up the PS2 receiver to an atom pro. Is there a similar diagram for the ARC32?
I just got mp Lynxmotion PS2 controller only to find now I have to spend more postage on the cable from receiver to servo controller. I just ordered one of those so would like to know what wires go where when it gets here :-)
Thank you very much for any help provided.
Manfred

1, 2