Lynxmotion Tech Support

www.lynxmotion.com
Join the Accelerator Program
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:46 pm 
Offline
Robot Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 9:21 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: Central Coast, CA, USA
I suppose it could get quite complicated!

I've got a wireless camera on a 4WD, nothing great. I'd like to be able to focus it through a digital camera and use it to "aim". Optics aren't cooperating.

Don't know about the pix. After I get the names right (case must match) for the file to reference, they show up quite dependably for me.

Alan KM6VV

tnay wrote:
I'm afraid it's nothing like that. That is waaay to complicated. :lol: It's just a simple code. Since the transmitter use PPM method, I just treat the pulse width as a range of value.

p.s.: I was able to see your previous image this morning, now I cant see it, include the image in your last post. :?:

_________________
Visit:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SherlineCNC/
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HexapodRobotIK/


Last edited by KM6VV on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:24 pm 
Offline
Roboteer

Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:40 am
Posts: 141
Robot Dude wrote:
tnay wrote:
Letting the brain go wild, I imagine a seperate 2.4ghz camera display lifeview on a colour GLCD. :D Ready for Mechwar!!! But that is just waaay above my current programming level. :roll:


Don't make the mistake I did assuming cheap 2.4ghz "spy" cameras will work for Mech War. They are saying no go and wifi is the only show in town for Mech War bots. If you are saying use a channel of some other 2.4ghz system it's not got the bandwidth to do video. That's what I'm getting from them anyway.


Really? I guess it is still not fast enough for video streaming. But wifi also run at 2.4ghz right? Wifi camera doesn't come cheap, don't they?

Anyway, I did look up for some info on camera, and it seems like we need something like >100mhz processing speed for 30 fps of vga video streaming. Pick that up from sparkfun forum. Very challenging. It sure is a good-to-have features. I hope lynxmotion got their own camera module. :wink:

Not exactly for mechwar, but I do like to see the world through the eyes of robot. at ground level. :wink: Like going under the couch, exploring the nature.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:01 pm 
Offline
Robot Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 9:21 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: Central Coast, CA, USA
Can you see me now?

How about my new Avatar thingy? Some of my youngest son's work. "Retro Spaceman", from a project he's working on.

Alan KM6VV

tnay wrote:
p.s.: I was able to see your previous image this morning, now I cant see it, include the image in your last post. :?:

_________________
Visit:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SherlineCNC/
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HexapodRobotIK/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:58 pm 
Offline
Lynxmotion Founder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:46 am
Posts: 9325
Location: my quiet place
tnay wrote:
Really? I guess it is still not fast enough for video streaming. But wifi also run at 2.4ghz right? Wifi camera doesn't come cheap, don't they?

Anyway, I did look up for some info on camera, and it seems like we need something like >100mhz processing speed for 30 fps of vga video streaming. Pick that up from sparkfun forum. Very challenging. It sure is a good-to-have features. I hope lynxmotion got their own camera module. :wink:

Not exactly for mechwar, but I do like to see the world through the eyes of robot. at ground level. :wink: Like going under the couch, exploring the nature.


We bought the Trendnet wifi camera for ~$99.00. The difference is in compression not transmission frequency. Sending raw video fields apparently is extremely inefficient.

_________________
Jim Frye, the Robot Guy
http://www.lynxmotion.com
I've always tried to do my best...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:36 pm 
Offline
Robot Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 9:21 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: Central Coast, CA, USA
Jim,

How thick is your "Lexan Quadrapod Body Kit - Mini" chassis plate? Is Lexan stiffer then Polycarb for the same thickness?

As I mentioned earlier, my Polycarb chassis was bending under the weight of 4DOF legs. I'll check my thickness again, but I think it was 1/8".

Any interest in putting a few more holes (for LPAs) in your 'quad chassis?

Alan KM6VV

_________________
Visit:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SherlineCNC/
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HexapodRobotIK/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:05 am 
Offline
Lynxmotion Founder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:46 am
Posts: 9325
Location: my quiet place
I had this answered yesterday and about 8:45. But the power went out before I could send it. All the backup supplies held on long enough for us to shut everything down. lol

Lexan is a trade name for polycarbonate.

Polycarbonate: Lexan, Macrolon
Tough, bendy, not brittle...

Acrylic: Plexiglass
Tough but brittle...

If I were making a single panel as a chassis I would probably go with 2 1/8" panels glued or bolted to make one stronger part, or go with 0.09" aluminum.

_________________
Jim Frye, the Robot Guy
http://www.lynxmotion.com
I've always tried to do my best...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:20 pm 
Offline
Robot Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 9:21 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: Central Coast, CA, USA
OUCH! That could have been disastrous! Glad you're back up. No worries on the slight delay.

OK, so they're the same. Nice stuff, for plastic!

I have scrap Plexiglas as well. Plexiglas and Polycarbonate are great for quick prototype and proof-of-concept pieces; although I prefer to work in aluminum (also brass and lead-alloy steel).

I'm going forward to an aluminum chassis, I might even retrofit the Creepy Hybrid's chassis with the additional servo body cutouts and threaded holes.

I'm still kicking around the idea of threaded servo mounting holes vs: matching slots. Threading 20 or so holes may run your costs up, and not be practical for production.

One thing I became acutely aware of was the dependency on the thickness of the "bracket" material of the LPA (as I'm sure you're aware). When I "ported" the LPA into my chassis design, I came up with a mismatch in the axial alignment of the gears. No surprise! My chassis is thicker then the LPA bracket! The solution, of course will be to mill out a pocket to adjust the LPA bearing height to match the lower-seated servo. No problem! However another machine step.

Alan KM6VV

Robot Dude wrote:
I had this answered yesterday and about 8:45. But the power went out before I could send it. All the backup supplies held on long enough for us to shut everything down. lol

Lexan is a trade name for polycarbonate.

Polycarbonate: Lexan, Macrolon
Tough, bendy, not brittle...

Acrylic: Plexiglass
Tough but brittle...

If I were making a single panel as a chassis I would probably go with 2 1/8" panels glued or bolted to make one stronger part, or go with 0.09" aluminum.

_________________
Visit:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SherlineCNC/
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HexapodRobotIK/


Last edited by KM6VV on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Nice!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:33 pm 
Offline
Roboteer

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:22 pm
Posts: 1
Cool project! I'm looking forward to the articles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nice!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:17 am 
Offline
Robot Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 9:21 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: Central Coast, CA, USA
Thanks!

I can't wait either! There are a lot of photos, charts and CAD drawings, as well as considerable text in the two-part article. I hope you enjoy it!

Alan KM6VV

rhewitt wrote:
Cool project! I'm looking forward to the articles

_________________
Visit:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SherlineCNC/
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HexapodRobotIK/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nice!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:55 am 
Offline
Robot Guru
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:59 am
Posts: 3298
Location: Online @ innerbreed.co.uk
KM6VV wrote:
Thanks!

I can't wait either! There are a lot of photos, charts and CAD drawings, as well as considerable text in the two-part article. I hope you enjoy it!

Alan KM6VV

rhewitt wrote:
Cool project! I'm looking forward to the articles
hi alan. Well done with the news for the artical. Cant wait to read it. Im starting work on another quadruped project very soon. Good luck with the competition, things looking good for ya. Jonny.

_________________
Jonny Poole,
Freelance Concept Art & Animatronics, 3D Art and 3D Modelling, as well as Physical Modelling, Mechanical design, and illustration.
http://www.innerbreed.co.uk
Create, Innovate, Inspire.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Nice!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:09 pm 
Offline
Robot Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 9:21 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: Central Coast, CA, USA
Hi Jonny,

Thanks! Yes I'm really proud of this article.

A new 'Quad you say? What leg layout? I found out that my initial splayed leg layout would probably make it difficult to walk. Maybe that's why all the mammals you see have the more upright legs. Crocks, Monitor lizards and the like (reptiles) have the splayed legs, 'tho. I think it would be wise to mimic maybe a cat or dog's basic proportions initially.

Alan KM6VV

innerbreed wrote:
hi Alan. Well done with the news for the artical. Cant wait to read it. Im starting work on another quadruped project very soon. Good luck with the competition, things looking good for ya. Jonny.

_________________
Visit:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SherlineCNC/
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HexapodRobotIK/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:00 pm 
Offline
Roboteer

Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:55 pm
Posts: 26
I think you might notice that when heavy lizards with splayed legs are walking slowly (not talking advantage of momentum when running) use their tails to help leverage themselves.

Animals that walk "taller" have less stress on their leg joints to keep them upright and the force seems to be directed more down through the physical geometeries of the leg.

Although I personally haven't "proved" this but it seems to me that through experimentation it takes more joint torque to maintain an upright position in a mammal quadruped configuration than it does a insect quadruped configuration.

The robotshop formula seems to take into account all of the forces and torque in leg design, at the hobbyist level.

http://www.robotshop.us/robot-leg-tutorial.html

Perhaps these formulas explain the difference in forces vs angles in different leg positionings.

Also, never forget that the taller the robot is, the more you have to work to maintain balance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:25 pm 
Offline
Roboteer

Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:55 pm
Posts: 26
Also, in case someone didn't already put it out there, some great resources are:

MIT OpenCourseWare: Intro to Robotics

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mechanical-Engineering/2-12Fall-2005/CourseHome/index.htm

and Stanford's Intro to Robotics Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=65CC0384A1798ADF

Don't forget your Linear Algebra!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E7DDD91010BC51F8


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:36 pm 
Offline
Robot Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 25, 2007 9:21 pm
Posts: 4049
Location: Central Coast, CA, USA
Yes, that's a good observation. Probably aids in the swing of the body that apparently helps them shift their feet forward.

The leg stresses of large mammals practically demands a vertical leg! Something like the cosine of the joint angle applies.

A cat would be my target.

It takes hardly any joint torque to support a let that's vertical! A spayed leg has several joints with a considerable static load on them. But yeah, a test would be good. The weight, leg and joint count would have to be equal for the comparison. Actually, a single leg would be sufficient for the comparison.

The Roboshop tutorials are interesting, but might be limited to sprawled leg configurations from a cursory examination.

Height can be your friend for balance!

Alan KM6VV

thesa1nt01 wrote:
I think you might notice that when heavy lizards with splayed legs are walking slowly (not talking advantage of momentum when running) use their tails to help leverage themselves.

Animals that walk "taller" have less stress on their leg joints to keep them upright and the force seems to be directed more down through the physical geometeries of the leg.

Although I personally haven't "proved" this but it seems to me that through experimentation it takes more joint torque to maintain an upright position in a mammal quadruped configuration than it does a insect quadruped configuration.

The robotshop formula seems to take into account all of the forces and torque in leg design, at the hobbyist level.

http://www.robotshop.us/robot-leg-tutorial.html

Perhaps these formulas explain the difference in forces vs angles in different leg positionings.

Also, never forget that the taller the robot is, the more you have to work to maintain balance.

_________________
Visit:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SherlineCNC/
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/HexapodRobotIK/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:41 pm 
Offline
Roboteer

Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:55 pm
Posts: 26
Height can be your friend for static balace but as soon as you try to make the robot walk (shifting the center of gravity to balance over three legs) the force/momentum produced by that shift at such a tall moment arm can work against you.

Quote:
The weight, leg and joint count would have to be equal for the comparison.


What do you mean?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
© 2014 RobotShop Distribution inc. All rights reserved.
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group