Free shipping on orders over $200

SSC-32 registers read garbage values

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]

Veteran ( offline )
Posted: 2008-09-21 07:51 
Hi all,

I recieved some garbage values in the offset and width columns when I read the registers in lynxterm. See the screen capture

I tried reading the values again and again,and every time the values kept returning either empty or garbage values. Moreover, the offset and width sliders were non-responsive. Any thoughts?

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2008-09-22 10:37 
Tell us more about the setup. PC make and model, OS, serial port / USB, baud rate... Have you read the sticky titled serial port must be like this? What are your timeouts set for...

Veteran ( offline )
Posted: 2008-09-22 21:23 
Hi,

I have the serial connection over bluetooth using bluesmirf. As far as the communication is concerned, everything is working fine both in lynxterminal and VSEQ except this reading register values.
The PC configuration is as follows:

-Toshiba Satellite; Microsoft XP sp2, bluetooth serial link using bluesmirf, 9600 Baud rate.

The timeout section displays:
Read Interval = 20
Read Total Constant = 10
Read Total Multiplier = 10
Write Total constant = 1000
Write Total Multiplier = 100

Let me know if you require any further information for trouble shooting this issue please.
Thanks a lot,
Umar

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2008-09-23 09:50 
pyrrhicpk wrote:
Hi,

I have the serial connection over bluetooth using bluesmirf. As far as the communication is concerned, everything is working fine both in lynxterminal and VSEQ except this reading register values.
The PC configuration is as follows:

-Toshiba Satellite; Microsoft XP sp2, bluetooth serial link using bluesmirf, 9600 Baud rate.

The timeout section displays:
Read Interval = 20
Read Total Constant = 10
Read Total Multiplier = 10
Write Total constant = 1000
Write Total Multiplier = 100

Let me know if you require any further information for trouble shooting this issue please.
Thanks a lot,
Umar

Can you get the baud rate up any higher then 9600?

I believe the answer is in the timeouts. Try increasing the read interval to 25, 30, 35. If no help then try increasing the "Read total multiplier" then "Read Total Constant" slowly. Let me know the results.

Veteran ( offline )
Posted: 2008-09-25 04:09 
Quote:
I believe the answer is in the timeouts. Try increasing the read interval to 25, 30, 35. If no help then try increasing the "Read total multiplier" then "Read Total Constant" slowly. Let me know the results.

Yeah this solved the issue :)
I set the read interval to 25 and read total constant to 15 and this time it read all the values as 0 and 1500 for the offset and width columns respectively.

Thanks a lot for your assisstance.
I appreciate your concern and cooperation

Regards,
umar

Novice ( offline )
Posted: 2009-03-30 07:07 
oh yes!

i ve got the same problem. i used 2 hours las saturday ....
i dont find any thing. it sonly with the bluethooth sparfun connection.
when i use wired cabel DB9 its all okay...

huch i think first time the ssc32 is bugy :)
oh jet im happy...

thank you too

t4ndu

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2009-03-30 08:06 
t4ndu wrote:
huch i think first time the ssc32 is bugy :)

:?
no it is not about 'bugy' on the behalf of the ssc-32 but rather the significant difference in communication delay between sending a command and receiving an answer when you use a high latency connection such as a bluetooth or even some usb-to-rs232 adapters vs. a hardwired actual honest to god serial port. when using the adapters there is a host of additional software layers which are typically buffered and scheduled into the operation of the OS and they default to, pardon the expression, dog ass slow. this is considerably different than an actual serial port which has typically a single driver layer between a users program and the hardware.

Novice ( offline )
Posted: 2009-03-30 08:42 
yes i understand. it is logical ;)

but at the first time, i doesnt see this problem with bluetooth..
but its easy for correct this.
all others works without problems. its only on the regsiter and offset part.
can i have problem in other programs...
so in FlowbotX VB program.. perhaps? i hope not ..
its the problem only in the data reciever part?

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2009-03-30 11:02 
for any program it will depend upon how long it is written to wait for a response.

consider an analogy if you understand basics of networking... compare using the ping command on your PC to ping another PC on the same network vs. to ping a server such as lynxmotion.net over the internet. in the first case because the PC is on the same network as yours the time will be very low usually < 10ms. in the second case because the command has to travel out of your house, across the internet, and return the time will be much longer, several tens of ms possibly more. now if you were to write a network program designed around using only servers on your local network you might decide it was acceptable to abort a command if no reply came within 25ms. if you later tried to use that application with a server across the internet your program could appear to work fine (if the server was close by), appear to be buggy (if the server was nominally 25 ms away), or just not work at all (if every message took longer than 25ms to arrive).

so you perhaps see that while some applications may work acceptably with higher latency communications such as a usb adapter, bluetooth, wlan, or other adapter while others do not then it is because they are more tolerant of the longer delays in waiting for a response from (in this case) the ssc-32.

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2010-02-15 13:16 
Hi all,

I can't connect to my SSC-32 at any speed greater then 9600 :? . I thought it was me or something I hadn't read in the SSC-32 manual yet. It didn't stop me, so I wasn't concerned.

I am running 64 bit Windows Visa Business. I am using the Lynxmotion FTDI USB to Serial adapter. The adapter has a low latency setting (5ms; tested as low as 1ms) I tried the various timeout settings described by Jim ...
Robot Dude wrote:
Can you get the baud rate up any higher then 9600?

...but this did not seem to help :(

Here are some screenshots:

Attachment:
File comment: from Windows
USBCOM4.jpg
USBCOM4.jpg [ 18.78 KiB | Viewed 3856 times ]
Attachment:
File comment: From Lynxterm v1.10
SSC32.jpg
SSC32.jpg [ 47.21 KiB | Viewed 3856 times ]

Am I missing something?
dj

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2010-02-15 13:27 
Have you actually adjusted the latency value in the driver?

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2010-02-15 14:47 
Yes... It is the only driver setting that was changed. It is at 1msec. I bumped it to 5 for a test

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2010-02-15 16:23 
Do you have both shorting bars installed on the SSC-32? If so, check to see that the shorting jumpers on the SSC-32 are good. I have seen them where they look right but do not short out the pins. If that is what you have then the 9600 baud jumper may be the only one detected.

Are you trying to do bidirectional communication with this?

Can you reliably send simple commands from Lynxterm?

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2010-02-15 17:01 
D 'oh :oops:

You mean THOSE shorting jumpers? I almost sent a driver properties screenshot; If I thought of sending a pic of the SSC-32, I would've figured it out.

Thanks,
dj