Putting robotics at your service™

Free shipping on orders over $200

How have others modded their RN mechanically?

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]

Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2006-09-03 07:17 
Hello All,

I am fairly new the Lynxmotion forums, so I havent explored all of the other threads yet(so I apologize if this is a repeat). But I have noticed that the robonova forums are rather slow so I thought I would ask around to see what recent mods (in design or mechanics) others had made to their RNs.

Recently I have created a new head for my RN to replace the old plastic one, and in the past I have modded the arms to have elbows. I created a claw (and plan to make another, they are just hard to make). And at one point I had rotating leg servos, but decided to remove those and come up with a new model.

My parts are designed in a CAD program, printed on paper, glued to extra-strength aircraft aluminum and then cut using a scroll saw. The precision is down to the mm (and so far I have been pleased at how the brackets have been coming out).

A recent picture of my RN(Thor) can be seen below holding his old head. He currently uses 22 servos, and will probably fill the remaining two places soon enough.

I hope to see others designs and many comments :) Thank you.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2006-09-03 08:00 
looks pretty cool, i like the red (if they are) eyes, they give it an evil kind of look :twisted:

Only 4 more to go....(5 year program)

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2006-09-03 08:02 
looks, nice with the claw and the eye :D

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2006-09-03 09:32 
Looks good. Personally, I like your Cap'n crunch gripper more.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2006-09-04 06:14 
I don't have a Nova, but a friend of mine, Dan Albert does.
He's chopped appart it's head and put a Zigbee wireless module in there for communictation to a PS2 controller that he hacked.

If I remember rightly, the last time I visited, he was working on fabbing up a tiny 2DOF gyro/2DOF accelerometer IMU board to cram in that head.

I'm not sure, but he might have posted something about it on the RoboSavvy forums.

Disclaimer: The above person does not claim to have knowledge pertaining to the following subject: anything. Thus, said person may not be held liable for any mishaps/explosions that his advice incurs.

Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2007-06-01 22:45 
I like your work.... good to see something different.... My hubby built my RN and I am afraid to change anything or risk distroying the programming... but I am going to have to do something different program wise or just have a 1K rc miniperson. Cool Claw. :wink:

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2007-06-01 22:51 
NickReiser wrote:
I don't have a Nova, but a friend of mine, Dan Albert does.
He's chopped appart it's head and put a Zigbee wireless module in there for communictation to a PS2 controller that he hacked.

If I remember rightly, the last time I visited, he was working on fabbing up a tiny 2DOF gyro/2DOF accelerometer IMU board to cram in that head.

I'm not sure, but he might have posted something about it on the RoboSavvy forums.

nice piece of work you got there.

hey Nick havent seen you in a bit! :P

Rookie ( offline )
Posted: 2007-06-01 23:16 
katarinaconnors wrote:
I like your work.... good to see something different.... My hubby built my RN and I am afraid to change anything or risk destroying the programming... but I am going to have to do something different program wise or just have a 1K rc miniperson. Cool Claw. :wink:

Thanks, I really enjoy the work. Lately my efforts have been put forth on a new robot that I will be using in RoboGames; check out my website for details! www.farrellrobotics.com (the robot is “Oro " )

If you need any advice with the RN, do not hesitate PMing or emailing me. I know that it can be a tough thing to start up - but once you get working it is great :D

-Hive

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2007-06-01 23:30 
NICE EXCELLENT WORK! 8)