Lynxmotion Tech Support

www.lynxmotion.com
Join the Accelerator Program
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:31 pm 
Roboteer

Ok, i need some help from anyone interested. I'm working on an animatronics project(it's the master chief from Halo) that requires at least 2 minutes of audio with music accompanyment. I also could use any advice on how to hook up the chip to the board as well as how to format an Audacity sound file into a single code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:28 pm 
Robot Guru

There are a few speech chips available that can do what you’re talking about. I have only used the SpeakJet and it worked ok. It doesn't have text-to-speech built in so it takes a bit of trial and error before you can get the best sound but you can get it to say just about anything you want.

For starters you can go to www.speechchips.com and do a little window shopping. As for integrating it in the Bot Board, that’s not possible, you do however control the speech chip via TTL.

The robotics nut.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:14 pm 
Roboteer

Thanks. It was close to what i needed, but what i really need is an independent sound board that can be linked to the Bot Board II just to give it the command to play the stored sound files. The chip site did help as it narrowed down the field i was looking in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:10 am 
Robot Guru

well you could look at something like this chip http://www.winbond-usa.com/en/content/view/153/1127/ specifically the ISD25120 which can be used with a Twin Industries DIY kit http://twinind.com/catalog_detail.php?id=243 as a drop in for the ISD2540 that comes with it.
Digikey used to sell some of this stuff but I didn't see it when I did a quick search so you will need to find other sources if it looks like it could work for you. I think ISD (integrated sound devices) got eaten by Winbond though so maybe that's why... although Winbond still appears to be making their chips. No idea really. GL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:37 pm 
Roboteer

ok, thanks. I looked at the sites and i think the one from the winbond site is the best option. I also found another chip series in my searches, the Quadravox QV606 module. It looks like it might be exactly what i need but i'm not sure if the interfaces are compatible. Has anyone had any experience with this module?
The site for it is http://www.quadravox.com/frameset/qvframeset.htm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:52 pm 
Robot Guru

for $69 the QV601m2 looks like a nice device. It looks like they integrated a 16mbit data flash, small microcontroller, and one of the STMicro STA013 or STA015 MP3 decoders along with a dual channel 11W audio amplifier. That is pretty cool combination. it looks very straight forward to do actually. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:56 am 
Roboteer

thanks, that's what i thought too. I think i'm gonna go with that now. Thanks for the help.