Putting robotics at your service™

Free shipping on orders over $200

Dual Lynx Arm Controller Config not configuring

Print view Share :
Previous topicNext topic

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]

New ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-13 16:58 
I have an arm using Servo City gearboxes, and the unit performs just fine in the free program Lynx Servo Sequencer. When I try to use the Dual Lynx Arm controller software, actually within the configuration program, my servos do nothing when trying to config/calibrate them.

See attached pic.

Is there a way to control the arm through a series of macros, with a resolution finer than 1°? I don't mind paying for the more advanced software, I just want to ensure I can get the accuracy I am looking for.

I'm using the arm for precise pick and place for SMD electronic components.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachment:
20120613_155041.jpg
20120613_155041.jpg [ 611.42 KiB | Viewed 1976 times ]
Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-13 17:15 
I don't see how that will ever work. The battery pack will never be able to supply the current required, and you appear to be powering everything with a single 6vdc pack. The plastic battery holder with the tiny wires and the friction contact with the springs is bad bad bad. The wire looks to be 28 gauge. Out batteries and cables use 14 gauge wire... The configuration software moves all of the servos at once. So the SSC-32 is probably resetting. Remove the VS1=VL jumper and install a 9vdc battery to the VL and that will stop the resetting, but you will continue to have issues powering VS using that anemic battery pack.

I sincerely doubt you will achieve the resolution needed for pick and place.

New ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-13 18:28 
I understand that the little battery is a temporary solution. The unit functions just fine in a separate program - the load is very low at the moment.

I am only looking for responses regarding the software, is the software capable of resolution greater than 1°? The gearboxes are geared at 5:1, but can get 13.5:1 if the software is capable of it.

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-14 09:39 
The servos electronics are resolving for the pot on the final gear. In other words the gearing has nothing to do with the resolution the servo (as a whole) can provide. The software has nothing to do with the servos resolution either. The SSC-32 can provide 2000 separate and unique positions within the 180 degrees of available motion. No hobby servo that I am aware of has the ability to resolve each and every step due to dead band requirements. The dead band is the amount of signal change required before the servo is commanded to move. If the dead band is too small the servo will never stop correcting. I am not sure what actual resolution can be achieved with your hardware. You could easily test this by sending a few commands to the SSC-32 with LynxTerm...

The battery is going to cause you problems, and probably already has. I already explained why it can't be used with the software that started this thread in the first place. Nuff said.

Do you have any interest in solving any issues with the Lynx Dual Arm Controller or not?

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-14 09:57 
It would be very helpful to me if you could try using the config software with a proper power supply. If there's a problem with the software I'll need to look at it as soon as possible.

New ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-14 18:06 
Thanks for your suggestion. We have provided our controller and servos with a buffet of 6V and a capability of up to 20A lab grade regulated power along with 14 ga wire, should it choose to need it.

I have tested this with both the Lynx Servo Sequencer, and the Dual Arm Controller, and get similar results as the little battery pack provided us....works just fine in the programs however, the arm still does not respond in the Lynx Arm Config program.

Thanks for any further input, I'm willing to try anything.

Thanks,
Steve

Guru ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-15 18:59 
Quote:
I have an arm using Servo City gearboxes, and the unit performs just fine in the free program Lynx Servo Sequencer. When I try to use the Dual Lynx Arm controller software, actually within the configuration program, my servos do nothing when trying to config/calibrate them.

If the arm works ok with one program, and not with another, both running on the same computer, then check the program settings for baud rate mismatches and similar, and make sure the appropriate comport is being used by the programs. Both programs cannot run at the same time and use the same comport. One program might be trying to communicate with an internal modem or similar.

http://web.comporium.net/~shb/S2000video.htm

Expert ( offline )
Posted: 2012-06-18 10:48 
Like zoomkat said, You cannot run both programs at once. Is your SSC-32 version string appearing on the programs' com display?